Chef Paul FOX 2 News
Troy, Mich. (October 25, 2017) – Ulliance culinary specialist, Chef Paul Penney, appeared on FOX 2’s The Nine on Wednesday, October 25th.
He prepared Indonesian Pilaf while discussing the high nutrient content and immune boosting qualities of this dish.
Watch Cooking Segment Here!
Makes about 15 servings (2/3 cup serving size)
- 4 cups of cooked grains – Can use quinoa, bulgur, mixed grain packs
- 1 cup whole peanuts (or any sort of nut or sunflower seed if there are nut allergies)
- 4 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 TBS of crushed garlic
- 1 cup red onion, diced or sliced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ¾ cup raisins or some sort of dried fruit
- 1 cup carrot, cut into match sticks or roughly shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, diced or shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup water
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 4 TBS light soy sauce (less sodium version)
- 2 TBS seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- 2 tsp raw sugar (if needed)
- Cook grains according to directions on the package and set aside.
- Dry toast peanuts in a small skillet until golden brown and set aside.
- Sauté garlic and onion in first 2 tsps. of sesame oil in a large skillet until limp.
- Add cumin, coriander and stir.
- Add raisins, carrots, cabbage, salt, water and stir well.
- Cover with lid, reduce heat to low, simmer for 3 minutes then remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sauté mixture with cooked grains, red bell pepper, cilantro, toasted peanuts and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, whisk together, add to pilaf mixture, stir well and enjoy.
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size 2/3 cup, Servings per recipe 15, Calories 165, Total Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 1g, Mono Fat 3.25g, Poly Fat 2g, Trans 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 150mg, Total Carbohydrate 23g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 7g, Protein 6g, Vitamin A 79%, Vitamin C 16%, Calcium 3%, Iron 7%, Vitamin K 13%, Vitamin B6 16%,Niacin 14%, Vitamin E 16%, Mn 26%, Mg 12%, K 10%,P 11%
VIEW OTHER CHEF PAUL COOKING VIDEOS